How To Guide: Extruder Core Replacement
First of all, please disconnect the printer from power and USB when performing this replacement to prevent electric static discharge (ESD) damage to the printer. It is recommended you ground yourself before working.
- One side of the X Rods will be glued to the sliders, one side will not. Hold the slider in one hand, and the X Rack in the other.
- While holding the slider and X Rack, gently pull apart from each other. Please be careful as to not bend the Z Rods, only a small gap is needed.
- Rotate the slider so the pegs point upwards. The X Axis is now free from the sliders.
4. Slide the extruder body off of the rods and place on your working surface
Disassemble existing extruder core
1. Remove black front cover of the extruder body by pinching the sides and pulling from the top part of the cover
2. Slide off black silicon heater cover from nozzle and heating unit
3. Use a 5mm socket wrench to remove the nozzle from the extruder core
Note: hold the heating unit above the lower part of nozzle to keep it from spinning with the nozzle while unscrewing the part
4. Carefully remove micro motion chip by gently pulling it up
5. Pull out the extruder core keeping all wires connected
6. Unplug the wire harness connecting the extruder core to the cable assembly by tugging on the wires gently.
Note: Be careful not to break a connector or pull wires out of the connector.
Install new extruder core
1. Connect new extruder core wire harness to connector labeled “E”
2. Replace extruder core into extruder body
Note: place cable assembly grommet on top of extruder core before placing extruder core back into extruder body (see photo below)
3. Carefully slide micro motion chip back into place along the inside slot of the extruder body
4. Place nozzle and Teflon tubing through heating unit and screw nozzle back into the extruder core with the 5mm socket wrench
5. Tighten nozzle until 1 or 2 threads are showing below the metal housing
6. Slide heating unit down to the end of the nozzle
7. Replace black silicon heater cover over the nozzle and heating unit
Note: heating unit should be completely inside silicon cover. It may take some careful pressing with a small screwdriver to get the heating unit into the silicon (see photo below)
Replace extruder into printer
1. Align carbon rods with holes of extruder and slide extruder onto rods
2. Align the carbon rods with the pegs of the slider and snap rods back into place